Monday, May 30, 2011

roast chicken... what everyone must know


Roasting chicken is probably one of the easiest most important things to know when it comes to cooking healthy food and making quick and easy meals. I like to roast a chicken, pick it apart and eat it for the rest of the week. It's great on salads, in soup, in stir-fry, as just a quick snack, or eaten with brown rice. I like buffalo chicken so much that when I'm up for eating some without all the fat, I'll just pour on a tiny bit of butter mixed with a good bit of red hot sauce onto my pieces of chicken and I'm satisfied!

For those of you who aren't familiar with roasting chicken, you simply buy a whole chicken from the store, rinse it off and pull out anything that may be left inside such as it's kidneys... intestines, whatever. Pat it try with a paper towel. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spray the chicken with a little cooking spray to make it crisp. Salt and pepper the chicken slightly and add any other seasonings you might like... I like to you my blend of spices Matt gave me which include rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, and oregano. Pop it into the oven once it is at 425, and set the timer for 18 minutes per pound of chicken. For instance, if your chicken is 2.5 pounds, set the timer for 50 minutes. Use a meat thermometer at the end and make sure the breast is at least 180 degrees and the thighs are at 190 degrees. Allow the chicken to rest once out of the oven for about 15 minutes, then pull apart with your fingers. Either toss the carcass or boil it in some water with spices and make a broth :)

1 comment:

  1. YUM!and easy! Who knows what goes on with those rotisserie chickens at the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete