Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Paleo (or not) BISCUITS!




Biscuits make my heart sing :) Biscuits and gravy, even more so. I have been trying out hundreds of biscuit recipes ever since I started eating gluten free, and have never succeeded until now. Sure I got fluffy biscuits every now and then, but they were never tasty like they should be.

Tonight, there will be a full moon, and seeing as this baby only has one more week to stay in my belly, I am thinking maybe he might make his debut tonight. As soon as he makes his entrance, I have to clean up my diet completely, not that I eat very unhealthfully as it is. However, all the extra dairy and sugars have to go. Just to be prepared, I wanted to make biscuits and gravy one last time and share the lovely recipe with you. Side note: no worries, I'll be eating 500 extra calories when the baby gets here for nursing, so no lecture necessary, the calories will simply be pulled from more greens and lean protein :).

I have tried both versions of the recipe for biscuits, and I honestly loved making them less paleo with the rice flour, milk, and butter, but you can honestly barely taste a difference unless you really are a biscuit connoisseur!

Biscuits:

2 1/2 cups almond flour
2 T coconut flour (or white rice flour)
3 eggs (or 2 eggs and 2 T milk)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp iodized sea salt
1/4 cup melted coconut oil (or melted butter)
2 T honey

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the dry ingredients together well. Add in the wet ingredients. Line a pan with parchment paper and spoon balls of dough onto the sheet, then press down to make slightly flatter like the shape of a biscuit. Bake for 12 minutes, but check them at 10 minutes. They should be slightly browned as shown in the picture above.

You can make these into little delightful breakfast sandwiches, or use them to make delicious biscuits and gravy. My (or my Dad's) all time amazing gravy recipe that is sure to be a hit with ever carnivore? See below!

Gravy:

1 lb hot breakfast sausage (such as Jimmy Dean)
3 T GF flour
Milk to desired thickness
black pepper
crushed red pepper

Brown and saute the breakfast sausage, then drain the grease. Sprinkle the flour over the sausage and saute for about 1 minute. Stir in about 1 cup of milk, then add more until it covers the sausage. The gravy will thicken, and you might want to add more milk. Stir in the seasoning and simmer for a few minutes before adding to your biscuits.

Enjoy the breakfast of champions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment