Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Perfect Pumpkin (Zucchini) Chocolate Chip Bread



My mother-in-law has the most amazing pumpkin chocolate chip bread recipe. It's so great that my mouth waters every time I think about it. I have been wondering how to make it healthier, as it is totally filled with a load of butter and sugar. I even enlisted the help of my friend Caroline over at Chocolate and Carrots who had some great ideas to healthify the recipe. I scoured the internet for recipes that sounded like they would work, as I don't really have the time to do complete recipe overhauls. I was surprised to find a version of this recipe over at Love.Health.Fitness and it was absolutely perfect! My mother-in-law's recipe also had a chocolate glaze on it, but after tasting this version, it actually doesn't need it at all. So delicious, and so healthy!

1.5 cups flour (I used Pamela's brand GF baking mix)
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
big pinches of nutmeg, clove, and ginger
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup shredded zucchini (squeeze dried)
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 T coconut oil
1 egg
1/2 cup milk (I used flax milk)
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Mix the dry ingredients together, then toss in the zucchini and make sure it is coated evenly. Then mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, pour into a greased loaf pan and bake for 55 minutes at 350 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment