Monday, April 4, 2011

shrimp paella


Recipe adapted from Rocco Dispirito's Chorizo and Shrimp Paella recipe featured in Runner's World magazine, April 2011 issue.

I honestly did not know this recipe was Rocco Dispirito's. I saw an article for the ultimate runner's meal in the Runner's World magazine this month, and it looked yummy enough to try. Once I finished copying it down, I saw Rocco's picture at the bottom. I don't know what it is, but there's something about Rocco's cooking that just draws me in. Maybe it's simply because he's a triathlete, therefore we eat very similar foods to fuel our very similar activities. Whatever it is, every time I am in New York I will be hoping to run into him and tell him how much I love his food so that he will let me open a restaurant with him and give all of his recipes a test-run. Maybe.... just maybe.

You can make this dish with any kind of protein you want. Your protein can be chicken, crabmeat, chorizo, beef....whatever. You can even use tofu if you really hate meat that much.

Ingredients:
1 T olive oil
6 garlic cloves
1 tsp saffron threads
1 cup brown rice
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes in juice
1 1/2 lbs shrimp
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
3/4 cup frozen peas

Heat dutch oven over medium heat. Add olive oil  and garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add saffron, rice, and broth then cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and juice then cover pot and cook for 20 minutes. Season shrimp with salt, pepper, cayenne, and red pepper. Stir shrimp and peas into mixture, adding more broth if mixture is dry. Cover and cook until shrimp is cooked and rice is tender, about 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment