Monday, November 7, 2011

who goes to canada?


I went to Canada with the sole purpose of visiting my cousin and her fiance. I had no idea I would be so incredibly busy taking part in every Canadian activity I thought I might do to keep myself busy while there, and actually enjoy being in Canada. A cousin asked me the night before my flight mockingly, "who goes to Canada?" Out of all the other awesome places one could go, the only reason I could think of is to visit family.

Museums, national monuments, historic landmarks and big cities are not my thing. Considering my trip to Toronto would be a big city with Niagara Falls off to the side as well as art museums and what not, I really didn't care much for doing anything but spending time with my cousin and getting to know her groom-to-be. Little did I know that Toronto would acquire some of my love and the groom-to-be would totally strike out. Just kidding, he's a winner, and I'm not even being sarcastic.


Museums and what not might not be my thing, but sports and watching people beat one another with sticks definitely qualifies as my thing. The first thing my two wonderful sibling-ish people took me to do was watch a hockey game at a huge Maple Leaf bar. I was able to partake in the whole experience, cider, gluten free nachos, huge screens that covered all of the walls, fan shirts and all. By the way, this was Jisoo's first hockey game and she's been in Canada for several months. I got on to her. And the only reason we didn't go to an actual game was due to the fact there were no home games while I was there. We also went to FC Toronto's final match where we had third row seats, after celebrating Jisoo's old woman birthday the night before. We went to the top of the CN tower, the highest standing tower in the world. It was quite awesome.... beautiful. Jisoo and I who aren't afraid of heights, were so afraid we held hands to hold ourselves together as we tip-toed across the glass floor.


And to finish off my stay in Canada, Jisoo and I went on my favorite thing in the world to do.. a wine tour. We went to Niagara Falls then toured the wineries in the region. First of all, I don't enjoy visiting national monuments. I wasn't prepared to be so amazed by the beauty of Niagara Falls. The Falls are incredible to say the least. We then went on to the wineries where I tried ice wine for the first time, which I have been dying to try for years now. It was amazing. I am not a fan of sweet wine, but this stuff was better than dessert. Then there was a winery that served their ice wine in chocolate cups, which was an experience everyone should have at least once. It's absolutely fantastic and I can't wait to serve this up for the family back in the states.


Canada was fabulous. I can't wait until my next visit to Toronto. I'm definitely looking forward to taking my Jake to Niagara so we can run along the awesome trails stretching aside Lake Erie and Ontario, and check out the beautiful little towns as well as the wine. The other thing that truly impressed me in Canada, was the people. The people in Toronto were the nicest of any group as a whole I have ever come across in my life. At no point in my trip did I feel like a tourist or an outsider. Everyone is accepting and welcoming. Toronto is definitely a place I can not wait to get back to.

No comments:

Post a Comment