Thursday, January 26, 2012

crock pot chicken tacos, gluten free of course!



I've taken a bit of time off while traveling and settling back in. Not to worry, I have several recipes and posts coming up, and today was the day I made something so marvelous as to motivate me to post!!

I LOVE Mexican food. However, I've never made a truly delicious Mexican-ish meal at home, besides my guacamole, until today. I swear, I would rather eat this than go to a Mexican restaurant any day! Normally I would bake my chicken in the oven then cut it up for the tacos. However, I got the great idea to cook chicken in a crock pot then pull it apart, which is so much easier! My idea came from mommyimhungry.blogspot.com.

3 chicken breasts, or whole chicken, or thighs
2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 yellow onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans of Rotel hot tomatoes with chilies
splash of water, optional
shredded Cabot cheese, I used extra sharp cheddar and hot habanero
shredded cabbage
brown rice tortillas

Lay the chicken flat in the crock pot, along the bottom. Sprinkle the cumin, salt, and black pepper on top. Throw in the yellow onion, the garlic, and the tomatoes. If there is chicken peeking out of the liquid, pour in enough water to cover the chicken. Cook on low for 8 hours, then pull apart with forks. Toss out the remaining liquid and roll the chicken and remaining ingredients together into the tortillas and settle down with the most amazing taco you've ever had!

No comments:

Post a Comment