Friday, April 15, 2011

Mrs. Ringlestein's amazing salmon



Jake has some really amazing friends. Not to take away from my friends, because they're awesome as well, but I've been wowed by my new friends/family. While Jake was is on deployment or underway, his best friends call and make sure I'm getting along okay and handling my new situation well. One of them happen to live in the same city and invited me over for dinner with he and his room mates one night while Jake was gone. Kevin made his mother's salmon recipe, which I was pretty iffy about as I watched him prepare it. Salmon has always tasted fishy to me, but I've always wanted to like it. To my surprise, the dish was fantastic and is so simple and delicious. For the rest of you salmon haters, you should definitely give this dish a try.

Ingredients:
2 salmon fillets, about 1.5 lbs
2 T olive oil
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup GF breadcrumbs, plus 1 T Italian seasoning if using plain breadcrumbs
3 T freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/2 juice of freshly squeezed lemon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line small pan with aluminum foil and place salmon fillets on foil. Spread oil onto fillets, then honey. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly across fish, as well as the seasoning. Sprinkle the parmesan on top. Squeeze the lemon over the fish. Place the salmon into the preheated oven and bake for about 20 minutes. The rule of thumb for salmon is to bake it for 10 minutes per each 1 inch of thickness. My salmon was 2 inches thick so 20 minutes was perfect and it wasn't overcooked at all. I apologize if this isn't as amazing as Kevin's mom's original recipe, but I wrote it from memory and cooked it this way last night and it turned out wonderfully :)

No comments:

Post a Comment