Wednesday, April 20, 2011

tofu and asparagus stir-fry


The only regret I have after making this meal is that I should have had soba noodles (buckwheat noodles) in my pantry and used those. This dish would be wonderful with soba noodles. However, the flavor was just as wonderful with brown rice noodles. Jake is a big fan of asparagus, unlike me. I like my asparagus the way I like most of my veggies.... covered in garlic or some other sauce. Luckily, I've got Rocco Dispirito in my recipe collection so that I can use his rockin' stir fry sauce for my stir fry so that it's not drenched in anything unhealthy. This dish is soooo yum!

Ingredients:
Rocco's rockin' stir fry sauce (recipe follows)
16 oz brown rice noodles or soba noodles
1 package firm tofu, drained and cut into 1 inch cubes
1/2 bunch asparagus cut into bite-sized pieces
1 T sesame oil

Boil pasta according to package directions. Saute the tofu for about 2 minutes in sesame oil once pan is hot, then add asparagus and saute for another 2 minutes. Add drained pasta into pot with asparagus and tofu then add sauce and stir. It's that simple!

Sauce:

Ingredients:
1 T sesame oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh ginger
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 bunch scallions, chopped fine
1 T cornstarch
6 T GF low sodium soy sauce
3/4 low-fat, low-sodium all natural chicken broth
3 T vinegar
1/2 cup simply Heinz ketchup
salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper

Heat large skilled over high heat. Add sesame oil to hot pan. Add ginger, garlic, and scallions and saute for a couple of minutes. Place cornstarch in a medium bowl, add the soy sauce, broth, vinegar, and ketchup and whisk together. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the pan and bring to simmer, whisking constantly until thickened. Add salt, pepper, and red pepper. This sauce can be stored for up to a week in an air-tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment