Thursday, June 23, 2011

tomato tomato...guacamole edamole!



Jake LOVES avocados like he loves shrimp, and that is a lot. He asked me the other day to make him some guacamole as his parting gift. So the loving wife I am, went off to the store to get some avocados, but they were $1.79 for a single avocado! Yeah, I love my husband, but I'm not a dumb shopper. I wasn't about to pay 12 bucks for the avocados to make guac. Instead, I experimented with the edamame I already had in the freezer, which you can get for a $1.50 per bag in your freezer section. Oh yeah, here's to experimenting! Great success! I used the same basic recipe my sister-in-law Christy uses to make her avocado dip, because it's the best version of guac I've ever had. Yay for family that cooks!

Ingredients:
1 lb. cooked edamame, drained
1 T water
1 T white wine vinegar
1/2 lemon, sqeezed
2 T green onion, chopped
4 cloves minced garlic
1 diced tomato
1 1/2 T olive oil
pinch of salt
pinch of crushed red pepper
1 jalapeno, chopped
handful of chopped cilantro

Puree the edamame in a food processor or blender with 1 T water. It doesn't have to be smooth, there can be chunks. Stir together all wet ingredients, then add with the edamame in a medium bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir. I served these with carrots and celery, but you can use corn chips or whatever you prefer. You can also eat this leftover as a protein-packed snack between meals for the next few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment