Wednesday, March 9, 2011

herbed shrimp and simple pasta

Jake and I LOVE shrimp. I mean, we love love shrimp. It's our favorite :) Anyway, this dish was absolutely delicious and I would eat it everyday if I could. Well, I guess I can, but I prefer variety. Shrimp is a great source of protein, and I decided I want to eat a good bit more seafood. Every time I go to a restaurant, I order seafood, but I would like to start cooking it more. It's just so darned good for you. Seafood absorbs all those minerals the salt water contains that you can't just get via pills. If you want to be super healthy, eat this without the pasta, and have brown rice or salad. Really though, it's all about the incredible shrimp. Even if you don't like cilantro, please eat this because the blend makes it so delicious. Trust me.

Shrimp Ingredients:
3/4 cup fresh cilantro
3/4 cup fresh parsley
1/2 cup fresh basil
3 T extra virgin olive oil
3 T fresh squeezed orange juice
1 T fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
3 garlic cloves
1.5 lbs jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
cooking spray


Combine first 10 ingredients in food processor until smooth. Place in bowl and toss with shrimp. Marinating this mixture will make it even more tasty, but no worries if you don't. Spray pan with cooking spray (I honestly used olive oil since I think it tastes better and I'm trying to eat more good fats). Toss the shrimp into the pan until done, which will be just a few minutes. Serve over the pasta.

Simple pasta ingredients:
1 pkg brown rice fettuccine
1/4 cup fresh parmigiano reggiano cheese block, grated
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 T olive oil
1/4 cup white wine (I used Riesling even though I normally don't cook with Riesling, but it added a really nice sweetness that made the pasta even more great)
4 garlic cloves
salt
pepper

Don't be fooled. This pasta may be simple, but it's glorious. I love making this when I make meat or shrimp or something else that deserves the spotlight, yet also deserves something up to par with it's great taste. Boil the pasta until done, and drain. In large saucepan, toss garlic, olive oil and lemon juice until garlic is sizzling. Add white wine, salt and pepper and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the pasta and toss in the grated cheese. Place on plate and serve with shrimp. Serious yumminess!!

No comments:

Post a Comment