Monday, March 28, 2011

oatmeal, how convenient!


Oatmeal is awesome. I mean sure, it's not a bowl of ice cream, nor is it that lovely huge chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. However, it is instead a very nutritious bowl of goodness. It's full of Omega 3s which are great for lowering cortisol levels which make many blood type A people gain weight so easily, as well as good for anyone to increase their heart health and even mood in many cases. Oatmeal is also full of fiber which, when paired with protein, is the perfect diet. Grains are apparently good for you... which I don't believe, but I will believe that brown rice and oatmeal are the only grains that you can truly benefit from. Both will fill your stomach and keep you fuller for a longer period of time than the other grains which really don't do much of anything for you.

I will admit that I have always hated oatmeal. I have tried for about 5 years now to like the mushy stuff. I finally came up with a recipe earlier this year, the dark chocolate molasses, that I actually enjoyed. Much to my excitement, my life changed when I walked into the grocery store the other day. There was a whole section of little convenient boxes of oatmeal made by Better Oats. There was a large selection of oatmeal packets such as Raw, Oatfit which only contain 100 calories per packet, Organic, Protein-rich, and more. The flavors were apple cinnamon, maple and brown sugar, plain, dark chocolate, cinnamon roll (my personal favorite), and several others. Of course, I grabbed several boxes even before trying them (because anytime I only buy one of anything to "try it" I go back the next time and everything is all sold out). I tried them all and loved them all. My favorite part about these packets are that each box contains 5 single serving packets. I tear off the top of the packet, pour the oatmeal out into a medium sized cup, fill the packet with water, dump the water into the cup of oatmeal, and microwave for 90 seconds. In 90 seconds, you have a wonderful meal to keep you going while at work or wherever you are. As you know, I must have 6-8 small meals a day, and this is one of them. 



More information can be found at http://www.betteroats.com/ . Nowhere on the box does it say "gluten free" and they are processed at a facility that processes wheat, so you may not want to try these. However, I have tried most of them and have not had any kind of reaction, and I am incredibly sensitive. I did find on the site that a few of the "raw" variety contain barley so I would stay clear of those. Yay for oatmeal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment