Monday, March 14, 2011

semi-homemade samoas, yes, GF!

You can't really ask for anything more than caramel, chocolate, and coconut, all rolled into one cookie. I miss those girl scout cookies (Samoas) so badly. I think they were brought up in about 3 completely separate conversations over the weekend. My niece asked her mommy right before bedtime if she could have some, she couldn't, and she almost cried (although she was allowed to have 1 since her mommy is so nice). I told her I wanted some too, and I think I wanted to cry as well. Seriously. So anyway, I made some.

Warning: these are in no way healthy. Well, I guess you could make the argument that chocolate makes you happy and coconut is healthy fat, but to be completely honest, these are not good for you, sorry :)

You have the option of making some homemade butter cookies and use those, but these cookies are time-consuming enough. I used Schars brand shortbread cookies and these turned out well.

Ingredients:
2 bags Schars GF shortbread cookies (or 3 dozen butter cookies)
1 bag (14 oz) chewy caramels (make sure they are gluten free.. I used Kraft)
1/4 tsp. salt
3 T. coconut milk
3 cups coconut flakes, toasted (toast at 300 degrees for 20 minutes, stirring often)
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

Melt the caramels, milk, and salt in a microwave safe bowl for about 4 minutes, stirring in order help it melt evenly. While caramels are melting, place the cookies out on parchment paper. When caramel is smooth, stir in toasted coconut flakes. Spread a dollop of the mixture onto each cookie. Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Dunk the bottom of each cookie into the melted chocolate and place back onto the parchment paper. Once all cookies are dunked, drizzle the chocolate over the cookies. Remember, if the caramel starts to harden or the chocolate does, while you are working on them, pop it back into the microwave. Allow cookies to cool before moving and storing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment