Saturday, February 26, 2011

bbq chicken sandwiches

I hate barbecue, and Jake isn't a fan either. However, I remember back when I was kid, we would always go to Sonny's BBQ in Florida, and I loved their barbeque chicken. Omigoodness it was soo delicious. However, I've never had good barbeque outside of that, besides the barbeque at our wedding, which was served by Shane's Rib Shack, which was also quite delicious. The other day, I got a hankering for some tasty barbeque sandwiches. I used my handy dandy "Now Eat This" recipe by Rocco Dispirito for bbq sauce, and poured it over some roasted chicken. Yum! Next time, I will puree some jalapeno into my onion puree before mixing it into the sauce for a little extra kick.

For those of you who aren't familiar with roasting chicken, you simply buy a whole chicken from the store, about 2.5 pounds, rinse it out and off, dry it off with a paper towel, salt and pepper it slightly, stick it in the oven preheated to 425 degrees, and set the timer for 50 minutes. Pull the chicken apart with your fingers and toss the carcass.

Sauce:
1.5 cup Heinz all natural ketchup
1/2 cup onion-garlic puree
   *1 onion roughly chopped, 9 garlic cloves chopped, 1/2 cup water, microwaved for 10 minutes covered in saran wrap, then pureed with food processor until smooth.
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 T dijon mustard
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 T molasses
2 tsp cane sugar
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp powdered garlic
pinch of pepper and salt
2 T liquid smoke

Combine all ingredients in small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to simmer then reduce the heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally until sauce is thick, which will be about 30 minutes.

Pour the sauce over the pulled chicken. Pull out some gluten free buns (I used The Flourless, Grainless Baker which are great) and put some shredded lettuce and whatever else you want on the sandwiches. Pile on the chicken and you've got a wonderful, healthy, low sugar, almost non-fat bbq chicken sandwich. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment