Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Asian Sesame Salad


Ask anyone, I HATED salads until I was about, well, let's just say I hated salads until last year. All of the sudden I started experimenting because I really needed to get raw vegetables into my diet somehow. This salad is phenomenal. I love sesame oil and seeds and almonds and this salad combines the flavors. You can also add mandarin oranges but I didn't have any on hand, sadly. Also, the chicken on this salad can be added to ANY salad of your choice. I'll list two recipes for my favorite salads.

For the chicken: Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Aluminum foil-lined small pan (leave lots of edges in order to fold over chicken and seal)
3 chicken breasts side by side in foil
1/2 cup organic low sodium chicken broth poured over chicken
paprika
garlic powder
salt
pepper
red pepper
cayenne pepper
italian seasoning

Sprinkle the seasonings over the chicken evenly and wrap the foil over the chicken to form a seal. Bake for 45 minutes or until chicken is done. Allow to sit once taken from oven for 5 minutes, then slice and put over salad.

For the salad:
Whatever you want!
I used: spinach, spring mix, cucumbers, carrots, sliced almonds, and ground flax seeds and sesame seeds.

For another awesome salad to use honey mustard vinaigrette on: spinach, spring mix, cucumbers, carrots, walnuts, ground flax seeds.

Asian Sesame dressing:
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup sesame oil
2 T gluten free, low sodium soy sauce
2 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup olive or canola oil.
1 tsp honey

Stir up all ingredients or put in a jar and shake!

No comments:

Post a Comment