Wednesday, January 12, 2011

the dirty dozen: spicy deviled eggs

Eggs are the perfect protein. You hear it everywhere. I hate eggs. I mean yeah, I eat eggs for breakfast, scrambled with some Cabot reduced fat cheese shredded on top. But I have to have that cheese on top. Bodybuilders shove eggs down their throat all day, for real. Me? I can't do it. However, deviled eggs are the perfect snack! I love these spicy deviled eggs for a snack, or for a quick breakfast or for a lunch if you're pressed for time, who cares when you do it, just make sure you get some protein every 3 hours or so. These are loaded with yellow onion, which are great for lowering your blood sugar level as well as possibly staving off cancer, as well as jalapenos which are wonderful for boosting metabolic health. I love spice, so if you don't want these quite as spicy, feel free to cut down to 1 jalapeno.

Ingredients:
12 hard boiled eggs
1/2 small yellow onion
2 small jalapeno peppers
1/4 cup Vegenaise (I use Grapeseed oil vegenaise)
1 tsp spicy brown mustard
1 tsp distilled vinegar
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp horseradish

Mix all ingredients (besides the boiled eggs) together while the eggs are being boiled. Slice the boiled eggs lengthwise, and scoop the yolks into the mixture, and blend. Scoop a tablespoon-full of mixture into each egg white and store in the fridge for when you get the munchies!

No comments:

Post a Comment