Thursday, January 27, 2011

sunday funday food routine

I mentioned previously that I prepare my food for the entire week on Sunday, so that when I'm super tired from work or whatever else I don't have the excuse to not be in the mood to make food. I do this when Jake is gone, because that's when I tend to not feed myself because I get too lazy to cook for myself. To have variety, I make a couple of things:

Grilled Chicken (normally my lunch): I grab about 2 packages of chicken breasts, each containing 3 breasts. Cut them all in half, holding the knife sideways so that you're cutting through the thickest part of the breast. East breast should then be roughly 3-4 oz each. Marinate them in the fridge overnight (you can do this on Saturday night so that you can cook everything on Sunday if you really don't want to do anything Monday). Pull the breasts out and grill them the next day. Throuout the week, I eat this with 1/3 cup of brown rice.
Marinade:
2/3 cup GF low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/2 jalapeno, if desired
1 T sambal sauce
1 tsp. honey or brown sugar

2.  Salad chicken (normally my dinner): I posted the recipe for this earlier, see previous post for Asian Chicken Salad. Just put all the chicken in tupperware after baked and cut into slices and keep to throw on salad for the rest of the week. If you really want to be prepared, you can put all the salads without the chicken in separate tupperwares so you can pull them out and have them ready to eat that much more quickly.

3. Fish (whatever meal you want): I have a bag of frozen fish in my freezer. I pull out a piece for dinner when I feel like I need to change things up, toss it into blackening seasoning, and throw it into the pan and let it sizzle for a few minutes and serve it on a bed of steamed veggies or brown rice. I also LOVE to make them buffalo-style- recipe to follow in a couple of days.

4. Mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks:
I make sure to have food every couple of hours to keep my metabolism buzzing. I put all my snacks in plastic baggies or in tupperware to throw in my lunchbox. These include:
1 apple and 2 T peanut butter or almond butter
1 cup baby carrots and 2 T red pepper hummus
1 pear and 20 almonds
1/2 banana and 2 T peanut butter
homemade granola ball (recipe to come in the near future)
1 baked sweet potato and 2 oz walnuts
1 grapefruit and 4 slices of turkey breast
1 serving of greek yogurt
2 whole deviled eggs

Here's an example of what my diet for a weekday would look like:
Breakfast: 1 smoothie or 1 bowl of oatmeal and a giant cup of espresso
Mid-morning snack: pear and almonds or any of the above choices
Lunch: Chicken and rice
Mid-afternoon snack: grapefruit and turkey breast, or anything above
Dinner: Salad with 3 oz. of chicken and glass of red wine

Sometimes I'll have a snack after dinner, and that will be some form of protein and very little carbs, but I don't do this less than an hour before bedtime. I also have my iced tea at every meal along with at least 8 glasses of water on top of that throughout the day. Now, my snacks aren't always this healthy. At times I'll reach for a slightly healthy oatmeal cookie with a glass of milk or a light protein shake, or a cup of popcorn. It happens, and you stay sane because of your meals you eat that aren't so perfect. But make sure you've got your pantry or fridge stocked with the not-so-healthy fall-back snacks so that you don't go out to Sonic or any other fast food chain and grab a greasy handful of fries or potato chips instead. If I didn't have GF chocolate cookies in my pantry to cheat with (I might only eat 3 per week) or my small handful of dark chocolate peanut m&ms to cheat with, I would probably go on a crazy binge and eat a bag of sweet potato chips or a whole cheesecake. Seriously, we're all human, so treat yourself like you're human.

No comments:

Post a Comment